Monday, February 22, 2010

Hiding healthy foods

I'm sure all of you have seen this book,
"Deceptively Delicious."
It's AWESOME!
Many of the recipes require a few more hours in the kitchen
to prepare the foods,
but it is worth it...
IF you want your kiddo to eat veggies and fruits.These don't look very appetizing,
but these Rice Balls were a HUGE hit with Simon!
I had to share her recipe
(that I modified for Simon's sake).
Rice Balls
1/2cup brown rice
3 tbsp olive oil
1/4 lb. chicken
1 1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/2 cup (your choice of steamed veggie)...I used cauliflower
1/4 shredded chedder cheese
1/4 cup lowfat buttermilk
1 large egg
1/2 cup spinach or broccoli puree
1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs
HERE'S HOW I MADE THEM:
Blended cubed, cooked, chicken
and steamed veggie in "Magic Bullet"
(or blender of your choice).
Combined puree with brown rice and seasoning.
I didn't add the dairy because Simon has
food allergies. But they still turned out super yummy!
I stirred ingredients together and
formed balls. Dip the balls in a bowl
with the beaten egg.
Place in pan over medium heat
with olive oil at the bottom.
Let brown on one side,
then flip. Cook thoroughly...
maybe takes 5-7 minutes.
The Rice Balls should be warm, browned,
and crisp on both sides.
Simon devoured them!
Sometimes I have to spend a couple hours in the kitchen preparing
healthy, yummy foods in bulk.
It takes up a lot of time,
but it is worth it!
You can always freeze the left overs
and use them for another day
when you just don't have a thing to eat
in the house!
Enjoy!

No comments: